bricked box after latest firmware + old userdb

V7 TT Pro / V7S HD /V7 Plus/V7 S2X /V7PRO/ V7 TT

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

sattelight

bricked box after latest firmware + old userdb

Post by sattelight »

Hi,

I upgraded my V7 HD with latest firmware posted on download section (2016-08-10) with all code method. Since I don't receive the sats that come with this firmware I loaded my user db just backed up from firmware 2016-08-03, the box restarted and is stuck on a channel (2535 no reception here) and won't respond to any keys on the remote.

How do I force load the previous firmware ?

Thanks

Yankee495

Re: bricked box after latest firmware + old userdb

Post by Yankee495 »

sattelight wrote:Hi,

I upgraded my V7 HD with latest firmware posted on download section (2016-08-10) with all code method. Since I don't receive the sats that come with this firmware I loaded my user db just backed up from firmware 2016-08-03, the box restarted and is stuck on a channel (2535 no reception here) and won't respond to any keys on the remote.

How do I force load the previous firmware ?

Thanks
If a channel is freezing it up, unhook the dish, boot it up and delete the channel. It should be ok after you power it down and hook the dish back up.

There isn't an August 10th FW, there is an August 8th FW though. I posted a good 8-3-2016 FW you can trust.

http://freesat.cn/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... a2b495#p75

I'm not sure about the V7 HD but with a V8 Super you can put a FW file on a USB stick and name it flash.bin

Then power up the box while you hit the "Menu" button constantly. It should say upgrading across the top of the screen, wait for it to complete and reboot. It might not work on a V7 but it's worth a try. I would think they all work the same for recovery.

If you flashed the wrong FW you could have bigger problems. Where did you get a FW dated (2016-08-10)?

sattelight

Post by sattelight »

I got the firmware from the download section:
viewtopic.php?p=951&sid=1cf011ec797ccf1 ... 8d500#p951

Since others mentioned an August 10th version I thought it was legit and wanting the new EAC3 fix I took a shot. I didn't check it out much before reading in my userdb, just pressed the sat button and saw lots of sats from Asia.

The box still freezes after boot unhooked from the dish, will try the flash.bin method.

Thanks for your help.

sattelight

Post by sattelight »

The flash.bin + menu button boot upgrade worked, box unbricked thank you very much.

Guess I'll wait for the official firmware :oops:

Yankee495

Post by Yankee495 »

sattelight wrote:The flash.bin + menu button boot upgrade worked, box unbricked thank you very much.

Guess I'll wait for the official firmware :oops:
Great! I'm glad it worked for you and I have a V7 HD too. Use the one I posted, it's a safe 8-10-2016.

So is the one you downloaded bad? We need to warn people if someone is posting malicious files, renamed wrong intentionally etc.

Oh, duh, you used the 8-3 FW to unbrick it, right? Ok, good then, you're all set until they release another one.

sattelight

Post by sattelight »

I can't really say if it's bad, just don't use it if you plan on loading your userdb made with the previous firmware. If you set up all the sats and channels by hand again maybe it doesn't brick.
That's probably the reason we haven't had an official release of the firmware as they might be aware of this legacy userdb problem and are trying to fix it.

Yankee495

Post by Yankee495 »

sattelight wrote:I can't really say if it's bad, just don't use it if you plan on loading your userdb made with the previous firmware. If you set up all the sats and channels by hand again maybe it doesn't brick.
That's probably the reason we haven't had an official release of the firmware as they might be aware of this legacy userdb problem and are trying to fix it.
I built my DB by hand because there were no US DB's available but I did it with the 8-3 FW. I did the same thing on my Super and it did load into the newer FW, 8-19-2016. They'll probably release a new FW for all of them soon, and maybe the V7 first. I'm also looking forward to the new channel editor, 2.2 works but it doesn't have all of the features yet.

The forum delayed things a little bit I think but they appear to be working on it because they did release V8 FW's. I sure hope they add the Menu option to turn off select by highlight, it makes by dish take off to the last channel if I select a Fav category or use the Rolodex feature or when adding sats and when switching sats with the Sat button. You won't see this problem if you don't have a motorized dish. It needs to wait until you hit OK before it selects a channel or Sat in all of the menus. I spend a lot of time bringing my dish back to the sat I want.

Where are you? I'm in the US and a few of us over here still have big dishes. We don't have many channels but some of the ones we do have are really good so we get by. Our other receivers stopped receiving some channels and we found out the Freesat receivers get them just fine so we're buying them. I've bought 3, a V7 HD and two V8 Supers.

I changed my feedhorn trying to fix the bad channels and it needs tuned/adjusted. Today I have time and sure enough, it's going to rain any minute. These receivers are really nice and with a select by OK modification they'll be near perfect! There may be some bugs but they're not major I don't think, unless it's a data mix up or something. So far, so good as they say.

I think Rambo is the FW programmer, he seems to answer FW questions and know all about it. I don't know if he is in the US or China but I think they do have representatives in the US and the company behind the Freesat brand is Winsat. These appear like they're going to be very popular here and around the world. I try to help by explaining how they can improve it but they've done a great job so far.

Have you seen what I call the "Rolodex Feature"??? I didn't check my V7 but it is the Blue A-Z sort in the channel list, or at least I thought it was sort like the Openbox S9. It's not. It brings up an A, B, C, D etc down the right side and you scroll down to G and it only shows channels starting with G. It's the best, fastest search I've seen but when you press OK to move to the channel list it auto selects the first channel which is Highlighted and there goes your dish...when you want the 4th channel for instance. You have to bring your dish back by selecting the channel you do want.

I would think the V7 has it too, I never tried it because i figured it was like my S9 and I never liked they way they did it. I like them so much I'm hoping they come out with a V8 Extreme or a V9 Pro or something. How about a V8 Pro X2 with dual DVB-S2 tuners and a faster CPU and all of that good stuff? Then a V9 Ultra X2-4K with all of that with 4K video! There you go!

Yankee495

Post by Yankee495 »

sattelight wrote:I can't really say if it's bad, just don't use it if you plan on loading your userdb made with the previous firmware. If you set up all the sats and channels by hand again maybe it doesn't brick.
Hey, Bigcar just posted a new V7 HD FW! Just a little while ago!

http://freesat.cn/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 9b05b6#p14

And Bigcar, if you see this thanks for the update. I still can't post in the V7 HD download section so I couldn't say thank you there.

sattelight

Post by sattelight »

Cool this one updated fine and has lots more fav groups! thanks guys!

Request: It would be cool if you could select the fav group by its number in the fav listing that is already numbered but number keys do nothing.

I'm in Europe, I haven't had an FTA receiver since the old analog times. I have a sat pay-tv subscription for the kids and wife to watch their favorite cartoons and tv series. I really don't watch much tv, I only need news, music and some sports. The fact that the pay-tv box won't let you edit the channels or make fav groups and has very slow zapping annoys me.
I decided to buy freesat V7 and put up a second dish to watch some euro 2016 games in HD that weren't available locally and since sat is much better than the alternative IPTV / internet streaming. Also watched some Olympics in HD and have found some cool music channels that play old and new videoclips all the time, these days MTV (bs "reality" tv shows) and VH1 (butchered 4:3 to 16:9) don't make the cut for me. As an extra I also found some channels with recent movies and the original audio, although most not in HD and a bit dark / bad contrast for some reason.

The V7 is really an amazing box especially for its size and price, the zapping is quite fast, reminds me of the old analog zapping.
I'm thinking of buying a disecq motor, hope they fix the channel list auto moving the dish before selection too.

On the v7 closest thing to the rolodex feature seems to be the find button but the key selection is a bit cumbersome and the number keys don't work.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

sattelight wrote:
On the v7 closest thing to the rolodex feature seems to be the find button but the key selection is a bit cumbersome and the number keys don't work.
One problem with the "Find" button is that the text you enter is case sensitive.
MTV will find MTV but will not find Mtv.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

Return to “GTMEDIA V7 SERIES”