Freesat V7 hd dish motor

V7 TT Pro / V7S HD /V7 Plus/V7 S2X /V7PRO/ V7 TT

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

saleehoo

Freesat V7 hd dish motor

Post by saleehoo »

What kind of dish motor I need for Freesat V7 HD? Is it ok to buy something like this I have attached?
First the postman have to bring me one piece.
I am first time on freesat forum.
Thank you.
dish motor.jpg
dish motor.jpg (25.46 KiB) Viewed 4560 times

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Re: Freesat V7 hd dish motor

Post by Feralkiwi »

The motor / dish mover you have pictured is a USALS mover.

The V7HD supports this kind of mover.
I have not tested the software with this USALS mover for some time.
I will check that the current software still works this mover.

Setting up this kind of mover is hard to do.
You need to set up the mover for due north and the angle of your latitude.
Once setup they work well.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

saleehoo

Post by saleehoo »

I have found some tutorials about it. I think I can manage it with Sat calculators and some android apps.
Thank you so much!

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

I tested the USALS mover today with the latest software in all units.
The V7 worked the dish mover through a DiSEqC 1.1 switch.
It will work the dish mover direct as well.

saleehoo. These comments below should not affect your setup with just a dish mover connected direct to your V7HD.

I have V7HD units from earlier this year and they need a signal spiltter on the LNB out put to stop the current limiter function tripping the LNB power during switching. They need a splitter in the LNB circuit to work the USALS through a switch.
My V8 Golden also worked the USALS mover through a DiSEQc switch, with the splitter in circuit too.
MY newest unit, the V8 Super, that does not need the splitter in circuit on the LNB cable to work DiSEqC 1.1 switching, needed the splitter to work the USALS mover. The mover uses just that small amount more current and triggers the protection circuit.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

bricked

Post by bricked »

I have the Freesat V7 controlling a Stab USALS rotor very well (usually), with no Diseqc switch or splitter.

The rotor must be pointed due north if you are south of the equator, or due south if you are north of the equator. The mounting pole must be absolutely vertical and the motor mount inclination set up for your latitude, otherwise setup is the same as for a fixed dish.

You need to enter your latitude and longitude into the software, and to set each of the listed satellites individually to use the rotor (some might not).

The Reaper

Post by The Reaper »

I have tested all the V8/V7 series of boxes using a standard H_H motor using USALS.
No splitters or diseqc switches--just lnb to motor then motor to receiver--all boxes have worked perfect.
My motors are connected to a 90cms and 1.2m dishes and admin will verify that my systems work with these boxes 100%.
Reaper.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

The Reaper wrote:I have tested all the V8/V7 series of boxes using a standard H_H motor using USALS.
No splitters or diseqc switches--just lnb to motor then motor to receiver--all boxes have worked perfect.
My motors are connected to a 90cms and 1.2m dishes and admin will verify that my systems work with these boxes 100%.
Reaper.
Feralkiwi wrote:I have V7HD units from earlier this year and they need a signal spiltter on the LNB out put to stop the current limiter function tripping the LNB power during switching. They need a splitter in the LNB circuit to work the USALS through a switch.
My V8 Golden also worked the USALS mover through a DiSEQc switch, with the splitter in circuit too.
MY newest unit, the V8 Super, that does not need the splitter in circuit on the LNB cable to work DiSEqC 1.1 switching, needed the splitter to work the USALS mover. The mover uses just that small amount more current and triggers the protection circuit.
Hi Reaper

Yes I agree. All the Freesat units work 100% when directly connected to a single dish.

The current limiter does not start affecting the switching until you add more current load to the LNB output.

With just one 4 way DiSEqC 1.0 switch all is OK.
With just one 8 way DiSEqC 1.1 switch all is OK.

With a DiSEqC 1.1 switch feeding through to a DiSEqC 1.0 switch and then to the LNB all is not so well.
When the port on the DiSEqC 1.1 switch is selected and the DiSEqC 1.0 switch and LNB first take power / current, the current limit protection circuit cuts power for a moment and the DiSEqC 1.1 switch resets to port one.

Also with a USALS mover through a DiSEqC 1.1 switch, when power is taken to move the dish, the current limit protection circuit cuts power and resets the DiSEqC 1.1 switch to port one.

Here is a frame taken from a video of an oscilloscope trace of the voltage of the LNB output . It is not very clear as the video only takes a picture of part of the trace at a time.
The block of trace (three horizontal lines) at the left is the 22kHz tone instruction to the DiSEqC 1.1 switch, followed by the current limiter power cut and the trace returning to the normal voltage level.
This is the fault that I fix by adding a signal splitter or satellite finder in the LNB circuit at the STB, as in the second picture.
The third picture shows port 6 of the 8 way switch not powered on and the switch reset to port one. Note there is no splitter or satellite finder in this circuit at the STB.
LNBspike2.JPG
LNBspike2.JPG (18.59 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
6327WorksOK.JPG
6327WorksOK.JPG (315.74 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
6326NoWork.JPG
6326NoWork.JPG (322.3 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
This is a picture sent to me from Freesat showing their test set up that worked.
Your1MakesWork.JPG
Your1MakesWork.JPG (171.43 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
Yes this worked as they had a splitter and a satellite finder in the circuit.
This issue was not resolved with Freesat.
They had not tested cascade switching without the signal splitter and or satellite finder in circuit.
The latest units I have are the V8 Super. These have an electrolytic capacitor on the circuit board for the 18/13 volt supply.
The earlier V8 Golden units did not have this cap fitted, even though the space for it was on the circuit board.
The new V8 Super units work cascade switching OK, but failed with the extra current that the USALS dish mover used through a DiSEqC 1.1 switch and needed a splitter in circuit at the LNB output of the STB.
The spiltter or satellite finder has an inductor in series that reduces the current spike.

I post this so others that have problems with cascade switching or USALS movers through switches can find a solution.

Owen

kitayec

Post by kitayec »

I still have hard time understanding what is accomplished, other than dropping the signal level by 3db, when connecting a splitter to the LNB output of the receiver. Are they avoiding a power cut off during the switching, because the splitter has capacitive characteristics? Or supposedly an Inductor in series? By looking at the pictures, I would say that with all the switches, splitters and meters it will make things worse, since the current consumption will go up and over current protection will kick in sooner.
What is the deal with this hack?

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

This is not so much a hack, it is more a correction of the over sensitive current protection.

Yes all these extra devices do drop the signal strength.
What is needed is to stop the uncommitted switch from being powered off and loosing it setting.
If the uncommitted switch is powered off it reverts to port one.

It may be the added capacitance or the in series inductance, but this is needed to make an eight port uncommitted DiSEqC switch work.

Owen

Return to “GTMEDIA V7 SERIES”