V8 Golden - Satellite List Sorting

V8 NOVA / V8 HONOR / V8 PRO2/V8 UHD / V8X

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

vc2

V8 Golden - Satellite List Sorting

Post by vc2 »

I recently purchased a Freesat V8 Golden receiver.

I'm in the USA and I deleted all of the pre-programmed EU satellites and started to manually add the North American satellites that were of interest. There doesn't seem to be a way to control the order of satellites added to the list (insert function). New satellites are added to the end of the list.

What is the best way to sort the satellite list according to longitude?

mikelsat

Re: V8 Golden - Satellite List Sorting

Post by mikelsat »

vc2 wrote:I recently purchased a Freesat V8 Golden receiver.

I'm in the USA and I deleted all of the pre-programmed EU satellites and started to manually add the North American satellites that were of interest. There doesn't seem to be a way to control the order of satellites added to the list (insert function). New satellites are added to the end of the list.

What is the best way to sort the satellite list according to longitude?
There is no option on the box to move a sat but you can use the DB Editor https://freesat.cc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=801
Save your channel list (Menu - Tools - USB Dump - User DB) and import the file to DB Editor, right click on a sat to move it up or down, then save the list & reload it.
When tuning channels in make sure you tune each satellite in from first to last so you have them in order in the satellite channel list.

vc2

Re: V8 Golden - DB Editor Crash Recovery

Post by vc2 »

DB Editor would not save my edited file and crashed. I found this in the DB editor directory:

DBEditor_Crash_2018_03_22_19_56_07_356.dmp

I spent over an hour sorting Satellites and Transponders manually. How do I recover without starting over?

Are there any other editors out there there that are better behaved? I would like to automatically sort the satellites by longitude and sort the transponders by frequency.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

Maybe try sorting just a few sats at a time and saving the file.

Most of us list the sats in the order we want in the sat list by entering them in manually and then scan each in the same order to get our lists sorted.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

vc2

Post by vc2 »

I've found that it's much easier to locate new satellites using the Freesat receiver than it was with my AZBoz. The Freesat has very fast channel lock-in, whereas, it took several seconds for a channel to appear when tuned using the AZBox. I've been adding satellites that weren't previously programmed because I couldn't find them with the AZBox.

Also, Blind Scan apparently does not get the transponders in any kind of frequency order.

I was hitting the 'save as' function between satellites only to find that nothing was being saved when I finished.

carl

Post by carl »

Have you considered loading the North American list available on this forum then just deleting what you don't need?
Carl
Freesat V8 Golden, V8x, Geosatpro MicroHD and Edision mio 4k.

vc2

Post by vc2 »

carl wrote:Have you considered loading the North American list available on this forum then just deleting what you don't need?
I will take a look. This may be the best solution. I'll still need an editor to put the transponders in ascending frequency order and the channels in ascending "sid" order.

DB editor is buggy and has a few issues:

1. It doesn't remember the selected file type (eg: *.bin). Instead, it reverts to file type (*.abs) whenever a "save" or '"save as" is performed. If you are editing a (*.bin) file and press the save button, nothing gets saved. You have to do a "save as" and reset the file type every time.

2. I tried adding satellites to the list that I was sorting. It only allowed 5 satellites to be added. That leaves out trying to build a list from scratch with DB Editor.

How do I upload the new edited list to the receiver - Will the list that is already present in the receiver be automatically deleted?

mikelsat

Post by mikelsat »

As "Carl" suggested you should download the NA Sat list if it suits you, https://freesat.cc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=479
the list has 60 Satellites 139° W to 30° W with no channels tuned in, To load a channel list (Menu - Tools - USB Upgrade - "User DB"), the existing list will be deleted but you could save this to a folder if you wanted.
You should also download the user manual and read it - https://freesat.cc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=299
You don't need to edit transponders in the DB Editor, when you get the sats sorted then start to "Blind Scan" each sat from the first to the last in order. When you start scanning tick the first Sat on the "Satellite List" that you want to scan (Press OK), you need to do this everytime you scan a sat, (only tick one Sat at a time). Then press the blue button, then on "Scan Channel" select TV Channel & on "Scan Mode" select "Blind Scan" then Search.
That's the easy bit, the hard part is sorting the channels out.

mikelsat

Post by mikelsat »

There is new firmware out today for the V8 Golden https://freesat.cc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=9
You should load this as it might stop the box from freezing when multi sat scanning. ("system hung when some channel searching").
Before loading save the "User DB" channel list first as it will be deleted, then reload it again..

vc2

V8 Golden - Satellite Channels missing with new Firmware

Post by vc2 »

Saturday morning, I updated the firmware to V657 and installed the NA Sat list. I proceeded to blind scan the satellites that had antenna positioner settings programmed.

I noticed that eight channels that I had previously found by blind scan were missing. More specifically, on Galaxy 19 at 97W, Transponder 12 3940H had no channels. The transponder frequency was found on the transponder list. I tried to blind scan just that transponder, but still, nothing was found. The Luken channels on SES2 were also missing.

My previous firmware that came with the receiver before updating was V472. I'm thinking that the newer firmware has a blind scan problem because these channels, and probably other are not being found.

Any ideas on this?
Last edited by vc2 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

When you update to new software you can save your channel list etc to USB and reload it after the update.
That way you have all the channels as your box was before update.
You should also save you softcam.key file from the Conditional access menu too.

Did you save your user data before updating?
If so save your new list first, again as back up. Each USB user data save has a date code on it.
Then reload the data you saved before the backup and you should see the channel you are now missing.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

mikelsat

Re: V8 Golden - Satellite Channels missing with new Firmware

Post by mikelsat »

vc2 wrote:Saturday morning, I updated the firmware to V657 and installed the NA Sat list. I proceeded to blind scan the satellites that had antenna positioner settings programmed.

I noticed that eight channels that I had previously found by blind scan were missing. More specifically, on Galaxy 19 at 97W, Transponder 12 3490H had no channels. The transponder frequency was found on the transponder list. I tried to blind scan just that transponder, but still, nothing was found. The Luken channels on SES2 were also missing.

My previous firmware that came with the receiver before updating was V472. I'm thinking that the newer firmware has a blind scan problem because these channels, and probably other are not being found.

Any ideas on this?
Blind scan can miss some TPs, sometimes you need to do it more than once, I've never scanned C band so it might happen more often.
I was looking at Lyngsat's list for 97W and there is no TP lower than 3760 V that is active - https://www.lyngsat.com/Galaxy-19.html the list was last updated 2018-03-25 so it's up to date, full Sat list here - https://www.lyngsat.com/america.html
If there are TPs that you think are missing you can easily add them in the menu, - "TP List" - "Add" (Red Button) then "Save", if you get a signal then press the Blue button to scan the TP .
Also seeing as you are using a Sat list from Sept 2016 check the Lyngsat Sat list to see if you are missing any active Sats and that they all have the correct Longtitude settings, you can edit the Sat name and Longtitude settings in the "Satellite List" menu, (Press yellow button to save), you could also add any Sats here & move them in the DB Editor later on.
It's best to edit as much as you can on the box and keep saving the "User DB" channel list as you go along just incase you lose any changes.

tanka

Post by tanka »

V8 super I decide to do all manual from 139 to 55.5 west and Hispansat blind scan .V8 super and v9 super very good blind scan receivers are much faster .Compare to Azbox vantage dreambox .The v8 and v9 super are much better blind scan and very fast.No't compare.I did all in one day.Because now same satellites don't have the same channels like on the old days.Like that everything out of problemas and no repeats.The freesat receivers very good for scan missing very few Channels.If you missing four the most .But then do tp secan for the ones missing.At 97 west 3940h good on the v8super and v9super scan on the night or erly morning.I have theme.Ses2 no channels

vc2

Re: V8 Golden - Satellite Channels missing with new Firmware

Post by vc2 »

mikelsat wrote: Blind scan can miss some TPs, sometimes you need to do it more than once, I've never scanned C band so it might happen more often.
I was looking at Lyngsat's list for 97W and there is no TP lower than 3760 V that is active - https://www.lyngsat.com/Galaxy-19.html the list
My mistake. It's 3940H, not 3490 (Bounce, Grit, Escape, Justice, etc)

vc2

Post by vc2 »

Feralkiwi wrote:When you update to new software you can save your channel list etc to USB and reload it after the update.
That way you have all the channels as your box was before update.
You should also save you softcam.key file from the Conditional access menu too.

Did you save your user data before updating?
If so save your new list first, again as back up. Each USB user data save has a date code on it.
Then reload the data you saved before the backup and you should see the channel you are now missing.

Owen
Owen, I have the original data consisting of 4 satellites that I entered manually after deleting the EU satellites.
The NA List I switched to is out of date (2016). I may go back to my original list and continue building manually with the old firmware. I can't see any satellites beyond 105W because of trees, so it's not that bad to continue building manually.

My concern is that the new firmware isn't finding all of the channels with blind scan whereas the old firmware was finding everything. Has something changed in the firmware that would be responsible for this?

Return to “GTMEDIA V8 SERIES”