Here is how to Upgrade S905X

GTMedia G1 / G2 / G3 /G4 /G5

Moderators: admin, redwoods, GTMedia Team

Yankee495

Here is how to Upgrade S905X

Post by Yankee495 »

First, you need to download the new Firmware from here: http://freesat.cn/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... c2bd507aea

Copy that Zip file to a USB stick just as it is, do NOT unzip it.

Next go to Apps then click "Update & Backup". Under "Update Locale" click "Select" and select the zip file you just copied to it.
Then click update. That's it. The box will show a line on the screen as it loads the new file then it will reboot.

Make sure and wait and do not power off. It will show the Android robot for a while then it will give you some details about what it's updating and finally you'll be at the main screen when it has completed the update process.

I didn't have any problems at all so I have no clue how to help you other than some advice to help you get started. Make sure your USB stick is formatted properly and the S905X can read it. Make sure you have downloaded the right file and that it copied to he USB stick correctly. From there it should just work.

There is a recovery process that involves a male to male USB cable and I have not ordered one yet. You need a special flashing program from Amlogic that I haven't located yet, or at least I'm not sure it's the correct one. The best thing right now is to make sure you get it right the first time.

Good Luck!

jovani

Re: Here is how to Upgrade S905X

Post by jovani »

Hello, thanks for your service...but how can you say ithere is no problem' ? Are you the development ? Do you use a rotor using usals for the positionning ? As it is impossible to put longitude and latitude in the usals screen, the rotor cannot work. It is ok if you only use one satellite but NOT when you use multiple ! Greetings from Belgium !

cpr43
网站管理员

Post by cpr43 »

Yankee495

It works for me. It also did the update without erasing anything from my setting. Thank you very much!!

Yankee495

Post by Yankee495 »

jovani wrote:Hello, thanks for your service...but how can you say ithere is no problem' ? Are you the development ? Do you use a rotor using usals for the positionning ? As it is impossible to put longitude and latitude in the usals screen, the rotor cannot work. It is ok if you only use one satellite but NOT when you use multiple ! Greetings from Belgium !
Greetings! I am talking about the S905X which is not a satellite receiver, not the V8 Angel.

I'm sorry, but I do not have a V8 Angel and cannot help you. There are some helpful posts on the forum for the V8 Angel but you'll have to search for them with the search box. Have a nice day.

Yankee495

Post by Yankee495 »

cpr43 wrote:Yankee495

It works for me. It also did the update without erasing anything from my setting. Thank you very much!!
You're welcome. I didn't lose my settings either. I love this box already (THANK YOU Mr Fang)!!!

I did find a bug when pairing a Bluetooh keyboard. It has two settings apps and both popup when trying to pair a Bluetooth keyboard. The window with the pairing code gets covered up by the second one and you can't read the code. I fiddled with it a while and got it to close the one covering up the code and I was able to pair my keyboard. I'll check it out a little more and see if I can figure a good work-around and maybe we can ask Freesat if it is ok to uninstall one of the settings apps.

I found the firmware upgrading instructions by looking at how other boxes that use the same processor are updated. I assumed they would be similar and they are. As I mentioned there is a recovery process that involves a male to male USB cable but I have not tried it. I forgot, I need to order a cable in case I need to recover it sometime in the future.

Here is some more information but keep in mind things may be a bit different with our version of the S905X. I would not use the Amlogic USB Burning Tool except as a last resort and I would verify the process with Freesat. I assume it to be the same but I also know manufacturers can make changes that may affect the process.

From what I understand this is NOT the recommended firmware upgrade process. Follow the instructions in the first post for normal firmware upgrading, we know it works. Also, Freesat may setup an Over The Air server where you'll be able to click "check for update" and it'll just do it. I don't know what the future plans are.

Code: Select all

http://androidpcreview.com/how-to-use-the-amlogic-usb-burning-tool-to-manually-update-firmware/3749/
Here is a lot of good information on media boxes in general and if you do a Google search for S905X you'll find that there is plenty more infomation available.

Code: Select all

http://androidpcreview.com/tv-box-start-here/

Return to “GTMedia G SERIES (Android IPTV BOX)”