RS232 CABLE CONNECTION

for the power, AV cable,HDMI cable....

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

Kyiwanuka

RS232 CABLE CONNECTION

Post by Kyiwanuka »

Hai mambers,
I need to upgrade a v7 combo which cant boot but dont have the cable, I can make the cable myself but dont know the cabla setup order, pleas help.
Katelegga

iq180
网站管理员

Re: RS232 CABLE CONNECTION

Post by iq180 »

Kyiwanuka wrote:Hai mambers,
I need to upgrade a v7 combo which cant boot but dont have the cable, I can make the cable myself but dont know the cabla setup order, pleas help.
Katelegga
CP, from another site, rename the latest firmware to flash.bin then format your USB drive so this flash.bin would be the only file in it.

With the v7 or v8 powered OFF insert the USB PEN drive. Power on the receiver and quickly press MENU on the remote. If you see USB UPGRADE ! DO NOT POWER OFF.
This works 98% of the time.

Kyiwanuka

Post by Kyiwanuka »

Thx,
will keep you updated.

Kyiwanuka

Post by Kyiwanuka »

I tried the method, it displayed the don't power off madage but again it stopped at the dark screen but at least it displayed the freesat portal but didn't go to full display.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

Kyiwanuka wrote:Hai mambers,
Katelegga
There is some instruction here on making a RS232 cable.
More here on flashing via RS232.
And my instructions on the V8 Finder and the software use here.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

Kyiwanuka

Post by Kyiwanuka »

Hai,
The information was usefull thanks but as explained I didnt succed, I still need the cable I hope its the only solution, so please provide me the r232 pci cable connection setup to enable me make one,
thanks in advance.
Kiwanuka Katelegga

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

Hi

Here is a link to a wiki page on Null modem cables.
The "No hardware handshaking" simple cable is all you need.

The cable you need will depend on what your computer has.
Older Big box PC's have a D9 as shown in the wiki page.
Newer laptops do not.

Good luck

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

hotsat9

Post by hotsat9 »

You can make a simple 9 pin null modem cable. Pins 2 & 3 swap. and pin 5 is straight through. The other pins dont get used in this simple version.

calv

Post by calv »

hi admin,im in trouble,my freesat v7 combo stuck with only green light,no booting,no disply on screen,ive try to flashing it back by flash disk recovery,its not working,the last chance is to flshing it by rs232 cable..the problem is,my laptop not hv any rs 232 port tht matching 9 pin,thres 15 pin,seem like its for out put display,its only usb port tht i have left,can i use cable usb to rs232 converter? and tell me all the step tht i need to do to make my freesat v7 combo working again.Thank you admin.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

calv wrote:hi admin,im in trouble,my freesat v7 combo stuck with only green light,no booting,no disply on screen,ive try to flashing it back by flash disk recovery,its not working,the last chance is to flshing it by rs232 cable..the problem is,my laptop not hv any rs 232 port tht matching 9 pin,thres 15 pin,seem like its for out put display,its only usb port tht i have left,can i use cable usb to rs232 converter? and tell me all the step tht i need to do to make my freesat v7 combo working again.Thank you admin.
First are you doing the flash.bin correctly.

A flash.bin recovery is done like this..

Place a copy of the unpacked software (the .bin file) on a USB stick and rename it "flash.bin"
With the USB in the unit, power on while repeat pressing "Menu" on the remote. You must use the V7 remote on the V7.
The unit should reload the software.

Also try this with older versions of the software.
You should see some white text saying that it is upgrading do not power off.
If you are not seeing this then yes your next option is RS232.

Yes my laptop also has not RS232 port, so I use an old large box PC to do this.
Other users have tried RS232 adapters. You can search these forums using words like "RS232 adapters".

Good luck

Owen

calv

Post by calv »

i try to find the rs232 adapter in this forum,but still not to find the way.. its possible i can flashing it with usb cable to rs232? can you gv me specific link so i can read it? its all about rs232 cable and plug into rs232 port only,by the way admin,its possible that freesat decoders use othres platform decoders hardware/software like skybox,skysat or any possible sw tht macth to freesat decoder

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

There is some discussion here on RS232 adapters. It is someone saying they did do this with a USB to RS232 adapter.

And another one here used usb-RS232.
None of these links say how they did it, just that it worked.

As your Freesat box does not need to be connected to the satellite while you recover it, you can take it to any place where you can find a PC with a RS232 port to use.
This is likely the easy way for you.

Freesat units can only use the software for their own unit.

Owen

calv

Post by calv »

thank you,i see on youtube,thres a way to flash with usb to rs232 adapter..i will try it later..

Vuerite

Post by Vuerite »

You can also just buy a usb to 3.5mm RS232 cable 6' for newer laptops

Return to “Accessories”