convert m3u playlist to iptvlist.txt format

Talking about new market news, idea for life

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

pep

convert m3u playlist to iptvlist.txt format

Post by pep »

Hi,

I recently got a GTmedia V8 nova and I wanted to use iptv with it. First I upgraded to newest firmware available (4/1/2019).

I have my GTMedia box connected through ethernet. Using the ping utility, I noticed DNS was not working (I could ping 8.8.8.8 but not google.com). By changing option from DHCP to "static" and setting DNS server as "8.8.8.8" I could get DNS to work. Please GTMedia devs, fix this, it should work fine with DNS from my DHCP but it doesn't.

Next step, I found 2 ways to feed IPTV URLs into the GTMedia:
1- custom_url.m3u: Put an m3u file into root directory of your USB pendrive, and a menu pops up when you plug the pendrive. However, it doesn't work, because it stays forever trying to process the file once you ask it to import it.
2- iptvlist.txt: It uses a special format, simpler but less powerful than m3u. This one works fine and I could import my list. However, I miss the possibility to import "groups" so I can access different channels lists based on the group (other than "Favourite").

Most IPTV lists I found (like FluxusTV, nice finding!) come in m3u format. So I wrote a small python script which processes it and output an iptvlist.txt like format which can be used to import the list.

To run it, let's say to downloaded the FluxusTV list and named it "mylist.m3u":

Code: Select all

./m3u2iptvlist.py mylistm3u >iptvlist.txt
One can easily filter some unwanted items from generated list. For instance, I found out the ones from "stitcher.pluto.tv" didn't work, and there were a lot of them. So they can easily be removed:

Code: Select all

./m3u2iptvlist.py mylistm3u | grep -v stitcher.pluto.tv >iptvlist.txt 
Hope the information and the attached script is useful to anybody. GTMedia devs, please fix all the explained bugs in this post.
Attachments
m3u2iptvlist.zip
(823 Bytes) Downloaded 127 times

Plinko

Re: convert m3u playlist to iptvlist.txt format

Post by Plinko »

Hi I just got my v8 nova blue a few weeks ago and i am having a time setting it up for iptv. Your post seems to be what I am looking for to help me set up .
thanks

pep

Post by pep »

You are welcome!

I wish GTMedia itself provided better manuals on how to do this kind of stuff, as well as a public bug tracker to be able to fill issues and follow its status.

I'd love to see someone explaining me how to use the DLNA feature, so far I was unable to have it working.

Finally it would be great to have the firmware released as open source so the community can help fixing issues and improving the features. That would give devices from GTMedia a great advantage over their competitors.

Falcon4072

Post by Falcon4072 »

pep wrote:You are welcome!

I wish GTMedia itself provided better manuals on how to do this kind of stuff, as well as a public bug tracker to be able to fill issues and follow its status.

I'd love to see someone explaining me how to use the DLNA feature, so far I was unable to have it working.

Finally it would be great to have the firmware released as open source so the community can help fixing issues and improving the features. That would give devices from GTMedia a great advantage over their competitors.
I also have not had success in making it work ..

Return to “Others”