6ft Mesh - Maximize Signal

Talking about new market news, idea for life

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

hotsat9

6ft Mesh - Maximize Signal

Post by hotsat9 »

Hi There. Ive got a small 6ft mesh.

Im located in central California and for me 125W is slightly off from direct south from my location.

A few transponders come in great such as 125W 3960 H 29270 @ 27% quality and 125W 4080 H 30000 @ 31% quality.
Some transponders do not come in so well such as 125W 3740 V 30000 @ 21% quality and 125W 4160 H 30000 @ 27% quality.

I really dont want to move into a bigger dish, but perhaps I can do a few things to improve signal quality just a little bit more.

My LNB is a PBI Turbo-4200-CK10 (C/Ku combo) Using a Discq 1.0 switch to change between C and Ku.

Is there by chance a C Band LNB out there that has a little more gain? Has anyone used inline amplifiers to boost the signal a little? Any other suggestions from 6ft dish owners to help me get a little more signal quality? Any tips? Ideas?

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Re: 6ft Mesh - Maximize Signal

Post by Feralkiwi »

The combo LNB, Ku / C band, do drop some signal, more so on the Ku side.
The important thing with them is to have them pointing directly at the center of the dish for the best Ku signal.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

hotsat9

Post by hotsat9 »

I did happen to notice the LNB was not pointing dead center. I bent the rods holding the scaler ring and immediately saw an improvement. I then rechecked my elevation on my direct south satellite and got a little more improvement in signal.

Does solid metal dishes get better signal than mesh dishes?

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

If the holes in the mesh are small, 2-3mm, then the dish is said to be both Ku and C band.
I would think that solid would be a bit better.
I have had a couple of solid petal pressed metal dishes.
These can bend out of shape very easy.
To check the focus I point my dish at the sun so the LNB shaddow is centered.
I then move a small mirror around the dish surface and check the reflection is hitting the center of the LNB.
A friend made a board shape of the correct curve and panel beeted the dish to match.

Good luck

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

hotsat9

Post by hotsat9 »

Thats a good idea using the sun and a mirror to check your shape (and also LNB alignment).

A laser tape measure pointing through your scaler ring hole could do a similar task.

machteck

Post by machteck »

I machined a aluminum round bar stock to fit the inside of the lnb, drilled and machined the center to fit a Walmart round laser pointer installed the pointer in the aluminum plug, worked good for me. I like the sun and mirror.
Larry

Return to “Others”