Moderators: admin, Rambo, Freesat Team

vaxi.pro

Firmware unpack

Postby vaxi.pro » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:18 pm

Is there any tool to unpack Freesat .bin firmware :shock: :) :D :lol:

Yankee495

Re: Firmware unpack

Postby Yankee495 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:50 am

I haven't seen one and I looked everywhere for the development kit for the SOC, at least on the V7. I tried all of my unpackers in Linux, the key is to know the offset from the loader and unpacker code, where the actual code starts. I'll make you a bet. There is one flaoting around on a server in China somewhere but we'll never find it because we can't read Chinese. :mrgreen:

aaron89

Postby aaron89 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:36 am

You can get something by using two Linux programs: strings (find text strings into a file) and binwalk (it tries to identify and extract known file types). With binwalk I got several image files like the boot splash screen and menu pictures, even I tried to replace it through hex editor but the result isn't perfect and sometimes had to reflash an unmodified firmware haha. Also the program extract some XML and compressed files.

Yankee495

Postby Yankee495 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:44 am

aaron89 wrote:You can get something by using two Linux programs: strings (find text strings into a file) and binwalk (it tries to identify and extract known file types). With binwalk I got several image files like the boot splash screen and menu pictures, even I tried to replace it through hex editor but the result isn't perfect and sometimes had to reflash an unmodified firmware haha. Also the program extract some XML and compressed files.

Yes, that would be great. We had those tools for the S9, change the boot splash and different things. I rally want a better editor and a feature changed. When using favorites the dish takes off to the last viewed channel. If you bring up Movies, watch one, then bring up News the dish will just take off to the last news channel you watched. It'd be nice for it to wait until I hit OK because I may be on the sat I need or I may not want to watch that news channel and my dish is half way there by then. Just make it let you scroll in the favorite group then hit OK to select one before the dish takes off. That should be an easy fix for someone with the tools. Oh, and take that times 30 times a day for a year and that's a lot of wear on my actuator.

Thanks for the info too! Every little bit helps and I love it that we can talk to the company now. Here in the US we have a couple of channels that the audio skips on and they're two of our top channels. When you record them they skip through the media player too. But if you play them on the computer with VLC they're fine. My Super comes tomorrow and I hope it doesn't do it. I don't know how to help them fix it other than record it and hope the flaw is there because it does skip though the player in the receiver.

That's about the closest to a perfect receiver that anyone has ever made for our market and that's really saying something. If we can get those two things fixed, everyone will buy one! I started a thread asking for things people want fixed if we could get the company to work with us and no one posted anything! Not a thing, they're all happy and those two things would make it just about perfect! I have a feeling I'm going to love the SUper and if so I'm ordering another one right away.

By the way, I run Mageia Linux, ran it since the Mandrake days, then Mandriva, and now Mageia. I have a i5-3570k wih nice OCZ Vectex 460 SSD's (the original faster/better ones) that have Linux compatible firmware updaters and I don't think I've ever been happier. I never wait, do what I need done and I'm done with it. I sure don't miss the days when the best you could afford was still slow, just now as slow as the other guys. Ok, sorry about that but nice to meet you. If I discover anything worth knowing I'll let you know.

Oh, and careful with the modded bins! ;)

aaron89

Postby aaron89 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:06 pm

I'm using Manjaro Linux (based on Arch) installed on a Samsung 850 EVO SSD haha the boot take only seconds, and came from Ubuntu/LinuxMint, but love the AUR repository where you can find almost anything :lol: binwalk is a nice tool but I don't know what to do with the majority of the files that aren't images and plain text, some files seems to be LZMA compressed but haven't luck trying to decompress it. The receiver appears to use uBoot as boot loader. However, I don't think that can modify any file and reassemble the BIN file and get it working, it looks difficult at least for me hehe. I think that Freesat should let the community improve the firmware by making the source accesible with some license (even if it's a bit restrictive), but I know this isn't usually common in manufacturers. The best example is Openwrt, how it improve routers with open source software. If the community can make custom firmwares, I am convinced that sales of these receptors would increase even more.

Yankee495

Postby Yankee495 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:46 pm

aaron89 wrote:I'm using Manjaro Linux (based on Arch) installed on a Samsung 850 EVO SSD haha the boot take only seconds, and came from Ubuntu/LinuxMint, but love the AUR repository where you can find almost anything :lol: binwalk is a nice tool but I don't know what to do with the majority of the files that aren't images and plain text, some files seems to be LZMA compressed but haven't luck trying to decompress it. The receiver appears to use uBoot as boot loader. However, I don't think that can modify any file and reassemble the BIN file and get it working, it looks difficult at least for me hehe. I think that Freesat should let the community improve the firmware by making the source accesible with some license (even if it's a bit restrictive), but I know this isn't usually common in manufacturers. The best example is Openwrt, how it improve routers with open source software. If the community can make custom firmwares, I am convinced that sales of these receptors would increase even more.

Yes, I got it apart but there is no way we can put it back together. I had some of the tools for the ALI boxes and these tools are most likely out there but we don't know the name. And wow, an opensource FTA box would be awesome! I've seen the Linux boxes but I want a fast one and haven't studied them.

This one is much cheaper $88 and has the faster CPU.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original ... 40863.html

This one is $129 but has ESATA but a slower CPU. It's also has twin DVB-S2 tuners. The T2 tuners are no good oin the US. We need an ATSC tuner.

http://www.allinmini.com/meelo-se-twin- ... eiver.html

I have a question if you know .Can you load a V7 HD channel list into a V8 Super?

I just received my V8 Super! Wow, nice nice nice!

Can you use a V7 HD channel list in a V8 Super? I just got my V7 list done and I'd hate to do all of that work again.

It'd be really nice if I can load the user DB into the Super?

Does anyone know?

peacesat

Postby peacesat » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:40 pm

You can't because they have different data base

Yankee495

Postby Yankee495 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:47 pm

peacesat wrote:You can't because they have different data base

Thank you Peacesat,

I found your site the other day and bookmarked it. I'm in the US but I still like to read all of the tips and tricks.
Thanks for your effort and I'll check back to see if you've posted anything new.

peacesat

Postby peacesat » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:22 pm

Sure, you will latest news on my website and thanks for your comments I,'m really appreciate

Return to “Others”