C band in North America

Talking about new market news, idea for life

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

Marsat

Re: C band in North America

Post by Marsat »

Jim wrote:
Marsat the only think I paid for on that setup is the Norsat Lnb's. I found the rest on Craigslist for free.
again lucky YOU, I can not even find any dish in 400 miles neither paying

Jim

Post by Jim »

Marsat wrote:
Jim wrote:
Marsat the only think I paid for on that setup is the Norsat Lnb's. I found the rest on Craigslist for free.
again lucky YOU, I can not even find any dish in 400 miles neither paying

What area are you in?

iq180
网站管理员

Post by iq180 »

Murf006 wrote:where is the best place to buy a satellite dish. Shipping is outrageous to north Carolina and there are none on craigslist. I would appreciate any ideas
I live in North Carolina, I don't understand why you would buy a dish here, there are free ones to be had, just drive around and look, when you see one stop and ask if you can have it, 9 out of 10 times they will give it to you just to get it out of there yard, I just went and found me a 10 footer for my new house, BTW, my wife is not happy about it, well she will get over it, LOL.

Marsat

Post by Marsat »

iq180 wrote:
Murf006 wrote:where is the best place to buy a satellite dish. Shipping is outrageous to north Carolina and there are none on craigslist. I would appreciate any ideas
I live in North Carolina, I don't understand why you would buy a dish here, there are free ones to be had, just drive around and look, when you see one stop and ask if you can have it, 9 out of 10 times they will give it to you just to get it out of there yard, I just went and found me a 10 footer for my new house, BTW, my wife is not happy about it, well she will get over it, LOL.
Miami
I think I have to do that. except for the Florida Keys that all was destroyed by the Hurricane Irma.
On That art I had no prob with wife, but she wanted a special fixed antenna for 30W, done deal!

Murf006

Post by Murf006 »

Started asking people at work and you were right. I found what looks to be an 8 foot dish. I will go tomorrow to take it down. After setting it up, what would be a good satellite to park it and try it out.

iq180
网站管理员

Post by iq180 »

Murf006 wrote:Started asking people at work and you were right. I found what looks to be an 8 foot dish. I will go tomorrow to take it down. After setting it up, what would be a good satellite to park it and try it out.
Well I think I would start with satellite 125.0w, remember if the dish is setup now and you are only going to move it 8 or 10 miles from wnere it is now don't change any of the settings, remove the Pan part from the bracket/ dish mount/ then remove the bracket/dish mount from the pole, that way most of your settings will be very close to where they need to be when you set it back up.

BTW, bigger is better when it comes to satellite dish, a 10 to 12 foot is best for C-Band, I bet if you look around where that dish is you will find a bigger dish, in other words where you find one there will be more close by.

zoricua1981

Post by zoricua1981 »

131 w is pretty good too

Murf006

Post by Murf006 »

I put together the 8 foot dish i got from a coworker who lived about an hour a way. I damaged one part of the mesh taking it down from his house. They had it on a 20 foot pole, but I think I can fix it. I set the pole and everything up except the actuator to see if I could get anything. I hooked up a 24v source just to see if the actuator would move, but it didn't. I did move it to 125w by changing the elevation bolt since it wasn't that far off and scanned in 138 channels. I just need to tweak it to get a better signal. I was wondering if there was a way to turn the actuator by hand.

Marsat

Post by Marsat »

Murf006 wrote:I put together the 8 foot dish i got from a coworker who lived about an hour a way. I damaged one part of the mesh taking it down from his house. They had it on a 20 foot pole, but I think I can fix it. I set the pole and everything up except the actuator to see if I could get anything. I hooked up a 24v source just to see if the actuator would move, but it didn't. I did move it to 125w by changing the elevation bolt since it wasn't that far off and scanned in 138 channels. I just need to tweak it to get a better signal. I was wondering if there was a way to turn the actuator by hand.
No you can not do it manually, remember IT IS a srew, You are screwed lol lol

The only way to do it manually is gettoing help

You 5 years daughter plays with the dish mover remote control
You loosen up the actuator bolts and start moving with the hand, then you tight up everything up

Ahhh I've been there believe me that is the reason that I am adding a second C band for those sats Dish is solid and way too heavy

juan_vale
网站管理员

Post by juan_vale »

actuat2.jpg
actuat2.jpg (69.39 KiB) Viewed 10426 times
Murf006 wrote:I put together the 8 foot dish i got from a coworker who lived about an hour a way. I damaged one part of the mesh taking it down from his house. They had it on a 20 foot pole, but I think I can fix it. I set the pole and everything up except the actuator to see if I could get anything. I hooked up a 24v source just to see if the actuator would move, but it didn't. I did move it to 125w by changing the elevation bolt since it wasn't that far off and scanned in 138 channels. I just need to tweak it to get a better signal. I was wondering if there was a way to turn the actuator by hand.

If you look closely where the arm goes into the motor/gearbox you will see they are joined with one or sometimes two screws. If you remove these screws with a little effort you can seperate the two parts. Then get some vice grips and clamp them to the flat end of the arm that fits into the gearbox, if the arm is not seized up you can turn the screw to move the arm in and out. If it is seized you can remove the arm and soak it in oil to see if you can free it up. If the arm is free to move, then you may have an electrical problem, there are some limit switches which can give you problems.
No live links (Rule #18) highlight the URL and use the Code tag option "</>"
V7HD, V8SUPER, V8X, V7PRO, GTC, FORMULER F4(TURBO)

Marsat

Post by Marsat »

That is why I do not want to touch that, I do not know why they built it so cheap so fragile, you can even tighten too much the screws that you crack the cover. The reel for limit switch, remind me my old toys (friction cars) yes 55 years ago.
Anyway I suggested that because I have to touch anything from the actuator, is one the the components that gives more problems in the whole system.

Murf006

Post by Murf006 »

I had a chaparral lnb but it has a servo motor on the back and I don't have the wiring for the motor. So I had a cheap lnb laying around and I put it in the satellite dish and I am getting the horizontal channels on 125w, but my receiver is saying that they are vertical channels. can you still pick up channels even if you were 90 degrees out of phase. Also I am not picking up any vertical channels according to lygnsat.

iq180
网站管理员

Post by iq180 »

Murf006 wrote:I had a chaparral lnb but it has a servo motor on the back and I don't have the wiring for the motor. So I had a cheap lnb laying around and I put it in the satellite dish and I am getting the horizontal channels on 125w, but my receiver is saying that they are vertical channels. can you still pick up channels even if you were 90 degrees out of phase. Also I am not picking up any vertical channels according to lygnsat.
You have the scew off by about 1/4 of a turn on the LNB, turn the LNB one 1/4 of a turn, if that dont fix it, turn it 1/2 turn the other way.

Scratch2765

Post by Scratch2765 »

I like 99w for ABC fox feeds, Movies channel, A F N (a variety of channels/shows from all networks) this, Metv I have not tried 125w yet. Sounds like a great option tvrosat is a good site to check which channels on which sat

Jim

Post by Jim »

Scratch2765 wrote:I like 99w for ABC fox feeds, Movies channel, A F N (a variety of channels/shows from all networks) this, Metv I have not tried 125w yet. Sounds like a great option tvrosat is a good site to check which channels on which sat
I use Lyngsat and Satbeams too!

Murf006

Post by Murf006 »

After looking at lyngtsat I put my 8 foot dish to 101W. I can get the following channels GEB, METV, METV Alt, Daystar, Heroes and Icons East, TV Decades, Movies, Heroes and Icons West. My wife would like to get oxygen, for her show Cold Justice, which is on 3880 V the C/N is 7.9. According to my meter the c/n that I am getting is 5.3. If I recheck and adjust the feed horn and make sure it is aimed at the center and calculate the focal length. How much do you think it would increase the signal quality. Do you think it would give me the necessary c/n ratio to get a lock.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Murf006 wrote:After looking at lyngtsat I put my 8 foot dish to 101W. I can get the following channels GEB, METV, METV Alt, Daystar, Heroes and Icons East, TV Decades, Movies, Heroes and Icons West. My wife would like to get oxygen, for her show Cold Justice, which is on 3880 V the C/N is 7.9. According to my meter the c/n that I am getting is 5.3. If I recheck and adjust the feed horn and make sure it is aimed at the center and calculate the focal length. How much do you think it would increase the signal quality. Do you think it would give me the necessary c/n ratio to get a lock.
I would check my elevation while hooked up to the meter by gently pushing up or down on it and see if that helps. The best way is to peak your dish at your southern most satellite. You can find that info at http://www.dishpointer.com/dpplus/sadoun2.php. Set your declination first to what it calls for using a inclinometer and leave it. Then check your elevation using the inclinometer which can be found at any box or hardware store. Once your satisfied with the signal and quality there then try your east and west satellites. If they are weak loosen your mount bolts and after marking with a pencil where your started and then turn the dish either east or west ever so slightly to see if the signal increases or decreases. I hope that helps.
Last edited by Jim on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Jim wrote:
Murf006 wrote:After looking at lyngtsat I put my 8 foot dish to 101W. I can get the following channels GEB, METV, METV Alt, Daystar, Heroes and Icons East, TV Decades, Movies, Heroes and Icons West. My wife would like to get oxygen, for her show Cold Justice, which is on 3880 V the C/N is 7.9. According to my meter the c/n that I am getting is 5.3. If I recheck and adjust the feed horn and make sure it is aimed at the center and calculate the focal length. How much do you think it would increase the signal quality. Do you think it would give me the necessary c/n ratio to get a lock.
I would check my elevation while hooked up to the meter by gently pushing up or down on it and see if that helps. The best way is to peak your dish at your southern most satellite. You can find that info at http://www.dishpointer.com/dpplus/sadoun2.php. Set your declination first to what it calls for using a inclinometer and leave it. Then check your elevation using the inclinometer which can be found at any box or hardware store. Once your satisfied with the signal and quality there then try your east and west satellites. If they are weak loosen your mount bolts and after marking with a pencil where your started and then turn the dish either east or west ever so slightly to see if the signal increases or decreases. I hope that helps.
http://geosats.com/
Last edited by Jim on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Jim wrote:
Jim wrote:
I would check my elevation while hooked up to the meter by gently pushing up or down on it and see if that helps. The best way is to peak your dish at your southern most satellite. You can find that info at http://www.dishpointer.com/ Set your declination first to what it calls for using a inclinometer and leave it. Then check your elevation using the inclinometer which can be found at any box or hardware store. Once your satisfied with the signal and quality there then try your east and west satellites. If they are weak loosen your mount bolts and after marking with a pencil where your started and then turn the dish either east or west ever so slightly to see if the signal increases or decreases. I hope that helps.
http://geosats.com/

dishman

Post by dishman »

Marsat wrote:
No you can not do it manually, remember IT IS a srew, You are screwed lol lol

The only way to do it manually is gettoing help

You 5 years daughter plays with the dish mover remote control
You loosen up the actuator bolts and start moving with the hand, then you tight up everything up

Ahhh I've been there believe me that is the reason that I am adding a second C band for those sats Dish is solid and way too heavy
Certain brands of motor arms allow you to remove the motor without the lead screw coming out the back and letting the dish down. A Von Weise will not allow this because the lead screw is attached to the gear shaft with a split roll pin. Others, like the Saginaw motor arms, will come off and the lead screw stays in place. Then you can turn the screw one way or the other to locate a satellite. I hope you wrote down the elevation before you moved it so you can move it back when you get a working arm on it.

You need to set the elevation back to where it was and then move the dish on the pole a little either way and then move the dish up or down until you locate the satellite. When you get the best signal, you should be pretty close to being on track IF your elevation and offset angle is set correctly for your area. A good rule of thumb is not changing any of the mount angles until you know it's not going to work at your location.

DancingAvocado

Post by DancingAvocado »

ed123 wrote:Hi folks,

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good satellite to park a c band dish.We just lost good channels on G19 this week.
Thanks
Ed
I know this is an old post, but I will reply. My dish has a motor, but I mostly watch 101W.

It has:
MeTV
Epix channels
Oxygen
SyFy
Bravo
USA
Food Network
HGTV
Travel Channel
DIY
Cooking
Decades
Heroes & Icons
Some networks and PBS

Marsat

Post by Marsat »

DancingAvocado wrote:
ed123 wrote:Hi folks,

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good satellite to park a c band dish.We just lost good channels on G19 this week.
Thanks
Ed
I know this is an old post, but I will reply. My dish has a motor, but I mostly watch 101W.

It has:
MeTV
Epix channels
Oxygen
SyFy
Bravo
USA
Food Network
HGTV
Travel Channel
DIY
Cooking
Decades
Heroes & Icons
Some networks and PBS

and 10 - 4K channels

gatonico

Post by gatonico »

Intelsat 21 58.0w is a good option for small dish in c band, i pick this sat with offset 1.8 m

satman

Post by satman »

I like 125W C and Ku

satman

Post by satman »

Also 101W is a good one.

Return to “Others”